JCC CenterStage Auditions
Naked in Encino
A World Premiere Comedy by Wendy Kout
Auditions: Sunday, September 7 at 2pm
Rehearsals start October 26, 2014
Performances: December 6-21, 2014
Naked truths...and more...are exposed when five women of diversely different backgrounds gather for a self-help seminar. This laugh-out-loud comedy from the screenwriter of the award-winning film "Dorfman in Love" and the creator of the TV series "Anything But Love," makes its official world premiere at JCC CenterStage after an acclaimed developmental production in Denver.
ROLES FOR FIVE WOMEN:
KAREN: 50 and fit
WALLY: 50 and unfit
CAT: 30 and hot
VALERIE: 40, natural beauty
ELIZABETH: 65, surgical beauty
Directed by David Runzo
Author Wendy Kout will be in Rochester for part of the rehearsal process for this world premiere play and approve casting via video auditions.
ACTORS ARE ASKED TO PREPARE a 1-2 Minute Monologue for auditions (not from the show)
by Darrah Cloud
Auditions: December 2014
Rehearsals: January 2015
Performances: March 14-29, 2015
New York Premiere - This whimsically innovative reinterpretation of Thorton Wilder's Our Town moves the action from fictional Grover's Corners to the very real Skokie, Illinois in 1977. As neighboring families prepare for Christmas and Hanukkah, two teenagers fall in love, and the world is about to give everyone a serious dose of reality.
ROLES FOR 5 Women and 4 Men ages 17-70, including one African American male.
Into the Woods
Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim; Book by James Lapine
Auditions: January 2015
Rehearsals: Start March 2015
Performances: May 2-17, 2015
Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood and Rupunzel are just a few of your favorite storybook characters that collide in one epic adventure. Wishes will be granted, but when there are witches and giants about, "happily ever after" is not always the end of the story. Delightfully humorous and beautifully poignant, this Sondheim masterpiece is not a kids' story, but an entertaining look at the consequences of "I wish."
General Information for all JCC Auditions:
- For musicals, come prepared to sing 32 bars of a prepared song. Accompanist provided. Please bring sheet music in the correct key. We suggested you select a song appropriate to the style of the production. Please dress prepared for a dance audition as well. No bare feet. The audition will start with a dance audition for all audition candidates. Then, each person, will since their song in the order in which they arrived.
- Auditions for plays will involve reading from the script. It is suggested you have read the script in advance and are familiar with the characters/context. Most scripts available by email upon request.
- Rehearsals are evenings and weekends, 3-5 days per week depending on the production. Please bring a list of all rehearsal conflicts. We try to work around minimal conflicts if identified at auditions.
- Adult performers are paid a stipend which varies by show and role. SummerStage performers are not paid, but there is no fee to enroll in SummerStage. It is an open audition.
- JCC CenterStage auditions are open to all performers regardless of race or religion. We practice color-blind casting whenever possible. You do not need to be a JCC member to participate.
- Call backs (when needed) are generally the day after the open auditions.